Users demand increases satisfaction on video consumption through IPTV and OTT in Spain
- Internet users declare up to 53% of occasions are through linear TV, but the rest is through other non-linear formats (VOD, apps, catch-up..)
- For the first time, a majority of users pay for video content access (IPTV or OTT), and even a 16% consider both options.
- YouTube and pirate downloading or streaming lose some weight as a consecuence of the interest in IPTV and OTT.
- 19% of internet users consume 4 or more hours of video in their Smartphone.
Madrid, June, 2017.- Telefónica, Ymedia and The Cocktail Analysis have presented the tenth wave of their anual report “Televidente 2.0” (2016-17). In this edition, the main focus of the project has been aimed to the TV platforms (considering IPTV, OTT and DTT) and the evolution of the new screens (Smartphone and Smart TV).
Spanish internet users are evolving in their relationship with Pay TV services and find more value in subscriptions than in the past. The current scenario presents coexistence between the IPTV and OTT platforms, since the first shows a slight growth compared to the previous year, and the different OTT alternatives reach up to 25% of Internet users. In addition, 16% of internauts maintains payment on both types of platform independently.
The subscribers to IPTV platforms value positively the subscription under a quadruple play model (integrating telephone services together with access to premium television contents), because it is perceived as a proposal less elitist than the traditional subscription to Pay TV. This quadruple play is the main reason for contracting the service for the majority of users.
This coexists with a specific driver among certain users for searching specific content within these platforms (mainly football, main TV series and films), which leads these subscribers to have greater demand for the service.
Anyway, subscribers appreciate that the content is accessible non-linear (either through a VOD catalog, applications, recordings, etc.) that make a consumption adapted to their needs.
Both IPTV platforms and OTTs show value for users. While IPTV platforms rely on quadruple play and a very wide range of valuable content, OTTs are strengthened by exclusive access to valuable content (especially the main TV series of each player) under a very low-cost subscription, which limits the demands of the users to the platform.
The number of Internet users using "pirates" downloading and streaming for video consumption is still high (67%) but has maintained a downward trend since the extension of quadruple play in Spain. It is evident that users are indifferent as to whether the resources they use are legal or not (they continue to use the latter) but find a way to see more adapted content in payment services.
YouTube has for years been the main video consumption platform. However, in this wave, there has been a slight decrease in penetration (4%), and a lesser use in devices and video consumption, which can be attributed to at least two factors:
• An internet population that grows in the older segments.
• The appearance of new content offers relevant to users and that dispute the available time. In this case, although it seems clear an effect of television proposals, the effect of other proposals linked to music (which is one of the most consumed content on YouTube) can not be ruled out.
Smart TV reaches maturity: half of Internet households already have one, and in addition, the experience of use is positive. This situation allows the extension of the use of the device for non-linear audiovisual consumption (24% of those who have it use it daily to see contents).
The Smartphone shows a solid position and begins to generate a new trend of use: 29% of its users use this device for audiovisual consumption for 4 or more hours a week. In these cases, having immediate access, always available and with the desired content, encourages a preference over other screens that provide a better viewing experience, even when they are present at the same time.
- 7 focus groups
- 1400 online surveys (CAWI) with Internet users.
Here you will find the entire report.